Licensing Information

(Most Require Inspections Prior to Granting)


Permit and License fees non-refundable.




ALCOHOL BEVERAGE LICENSE (Original and Renewal)                                            

The term of this license is July 1 – June 30 annually. Each license requires a publication fee of $45.00. Applications must be on file at least 15 days before presenting to the Town Board for granting. Inspections are required by the Building Inspector and Fire Marshal, along with a background check by the Police Department and Finance Department.


CLASS “A” BEER            

Selling of beer for liquor/convenience stores, consumed off-premises




Selling of beer for bars/taverns/restaurants, consumed on-premises





Selling of liquor/wine for liquor/convenience stores consumed off-premises





Selling of liquor/wine for liquor/convenience stores consumed on-premises



“CLASS C” WINE                                                                                                                                 


May sell wine in an opened original container for consumption on premises where sold. Such licenses may only be issued for restaurants if:

§      The sale of alcohol beverages accounts for less than 50% of the gross receipts and;

§      The premises does not have a barroom


WHOLESALE BEER                                                                                                           


Any fermented malt beverage wholesaler may sell only in original packages to retailers or wholesalers. Must obtain permits from the Dept. of Revenue. 


OPERATOR (BARTENDER)     (Two-Year License, July 1 - June 30)

   Fee Pro-rated $60.00

Applicants must have completed, or at least be registered for, the Responsible Beverage Course. A Responsible Beverage Course taken within a two-year period of application, or valid bartender license elsewhere would also be acceptable to apply for a license.


PROVISIONAL LICENSE                                                                                                                 

Add $15.00

You must apply for a regular Operator’s License when applying for a Provisional License. Unless you are working under a licensed bartender, you must have a Provisional License. Valid for 60 days or until you receive your permanent license.                                                  


TEMPORARY OPERATOR (Beer/wine served only)                     


Any person bartending at a picnic or similar gathering must have a license. It is valid for 14 days.  No person may hold more than one temporary license per calendar year. The operator must be employed by or donating their services to holders of special Class “B” Retailer’s licenses. Licenses may be granted immediately.





This license is to the organization. Application shall be filed at least 15 days prior to the granting of license for an event lasting less than 4 days. It is issued only to bona fide clubs, local or county fairs, churches, lodges and societies in existence over 6 months who want to sell beer and/or wine at a picnic or gathering.




ANNUAL AMUSEMENT LICENSE   (July 1 – June 30)                                                                $50.00


Amusements not part of day-to-day operations of the business where any building structure or premises had not been altered or constructed as to create a safety hazard to the public.  Such as coin-operated machines, pool tables, games, dartboards, jukeboxes and karaoke machines. 


INDIVIDUAL AMUSEMENT (SPECIAL EVENT)                                                           

Setup Fee $150.00

Application must be filed 15 days prior to the event.

Escrow Fee $150.00

This license granted for special events such as a show, concert, musical entertainment, carnival, theatrical performance. Inspections are required. Escrow fee is refundable 30 days after the event, if un-used.  Re-inspections, when necessary, are a rate of $25.00. 




BOWLING LICENSE    (July 1 – June 30)                                                                                               


Bowling alleys must be licensed.




CIGARETTE & TOBACCO PRODUCTS     (July 1 – June 30)                                         


Any establishment that sells cigarette or tobacco products over-the-counter or by machine, must be licensed. 




PUBLIC DANCE PERMIT   (Per dance within 24 hr. period)


Any party organizing a public dance to which the public may gain admission with or without payment of a fee must obtain a dance permit. If the dance is a private event, no permit is required. Application and fee must be submitted a minimum of 10 business days prior to the date of the dance.




DOG/CAT LICENSE    (Required over 5 mos. of age)      (April 1 – March 31)

Please bring proof of animal spayed or neutered, and proof of rabies vaccination.  No person may maintain more than four animals within the Town of Menasha.

Neutered males or spayed females                                             

$  7.00

                                                  Un-neutered males or unsprayed females                      


                                                  Late penalty fee if not licensed before April 1                 

$  5.00


KENNEL LICENSE     (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31)                                                                                                       


License is for any person engaged in the business of boarding, breeding, buying, training for a fee, or the selling of 12 or less dogs or cats.  $3.00 fee each additional animal.




AUCTIONS AND CLOSE-OUT SALES                                                                      

Daily Auction    $25.00

Application and permit fee must be filed a minimum of five (5) days prior to date of sale. A $2000 Surety Bond may be required.  Inspections required.                                                                                                              

Close-Out Sale    $50.00


CHRISTMAS TREE SALES    (Valid 60 days, Nov. 1 – Jan. 1)                                             



Community Development Dept. must approve your site plan prior to application.  

Please make application before November 1.



Per Display             


Application must be made at least 15 days in advance of date of the display. Must provide license Bond, Proof of Financial                                                                                                      

Per Fire Apparatus, plus firefighter wages



Responsibility, list of persons in charge of display, type and number of fireworks, diagram of location. The Police and Fire Chief must endorse this application after completion of inspections.


GUN OR WEAPON DEALER PERMIT    (July 1 – June 30)         



No persons, firm or corporation shall operate or engage in the business of selling firearms and/or ammunition without having obtained a license. 







Any person engaging in the business of massage or reflexology must have a license.  A background check shall be executed by the Police Dept., and a yearly inspection conducted by the Fire Dept. is required.  A Conditional Use Permit must be obtained if performing treatments in the home. 



MOBILE HOME PARK LICENSE    (August 1 – July 31) 

(Per 50 lots)


License must be obtained for any person to operate or maintain a mobile home park. Application fee must be accompanied by a $2000 surety bond, State of Wisconsin Mobile Home Park license, legal description of premises, and mobile home park site plan.

PHARMACIST PERMIT   (July 1 – June 30)


All pharmacists must be licensed. 



(One-Year License, Jan. 1 – Dec. 31)




                        Secondhand Jewelry Dealer  

       $  27.50

                        Secondhand Article Dealer    

$  30.00

(Two-Year License, May 1 – Apr. 30, Odd-numbered Years)

                        Secondhand Article Dealer Mall/Flea market    



SALVAGE YARD OPERATOR    (July 1 – June 30)


A business maintaining any building or yard for the keeping or storing in commercial quantities, any old, used, or secondhand materials of any kind including rags, paper, rubbish, bottles, rubber, iron, or other metals or junked motor vehicles or parts.  Inspections are a must.


SECURITY GUARD    (Two-Year License, July 1 - June 30)


Any person working for a security establishment which requires a background check must be licensed.



Establishment      $100.00  

License required for the business of tattoo artistry or body piercing. 

Each Practitioner    $  50.00

Permit fee shall be renewed annually on July 1 each year. In addition, each tattoo artist or body piercing practitioner shall pay a fee for practicing within the parlor.  A license application form from Winnebago County Health Department must be completed and approved prior to practicing in the Town. Premises must pass inspection and approval.


TAXI CABS    (July 1 – June 30)     

Business License    $100.00

No person, firm or corporation shall operate a taxi service for the                                                                                                                        

Plus each vehicle    $  25.00

purpose of public transportation without first obtaining a license.  All taxi cab vehicle owners shall obtain and maintain their own vehicle insurance. 



Per Seller     $150.00

($2000 Surety Bond required)

If you are temporarily engaging in the retail sale of merchandise at any place in the Town, and who is not a permanent merchant of the Town of Menasha must have this permit.  This includes any peddler, solicitor, canvasser, or any other person who transacts any temporary or transient business which involves the selling of goods, wares or merchandise, or who solicits for such trade.  




RECORD REQUEST FORM                                         

Photocopy charge per page               $  0.25

                                                                     Hourly labor charge, or fraction of     $25.00

Request form for accessing, inspecting or obtaining town records.  You may view any open records in the Town Clerk’s Office between normal business hours with no charge. Please see the section on Public Records for more detailed information.