2000 Municipal Drive
Neenah, WI 54956
Hours: 8:00 AM- 4:00 PM, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday

Len Kachinsky, Municipal Judge

Sue Hermus, Municipal Court Manager

Phone number: (920) 720-7107
Fax number: (920) 720-7116
E-Mail: [email protected]


[Introduction] [Initial Appearances] [Pleas] [Court Procedure] [Payment of Judgements] [Traffic Violations] [Juveniles] [Court Conduct] [Trials] [Appeals]

Ladies and Gentleman:

Since most people are concerned about appearing in court, I offer the following rules and procedures to help you understand how the court functions. The Court has jurisdiction over traffic and non-traffic ordinances in the Town of Menasha. You have a right to be represented by an attorney, or you may go ahead without one. If you want an attorney, you must retain one at your own expense. The Court will not provide you with an attorney.


At the initial appearance, the defendant will enter a plea. Only those cases where the defendant enters a plea of guilty or no contest will be disposed of at the initial appearance. Where the defendant enters a not guilty plea, the case will be scheduled for trial at a later date. At the trial, the Town Attorney will be present along with witnesses. You should also have your witnesses present at that time. If you are cited for a violation of Operating While Under the Influence and plead not guilty, you may request a Jury Trial before the Winnebago County Circuit Court. A timely written request and payment of the required fees must be made within ten (10) days of the initial appearance.


If you plead GUILTY, it is an admission that the charges against you are true. I will then review the facts of the case.

A plea of NO CONTEST is similar to a plea of guilty, and will be treated the same as a guilty plea. By pleading no contest you will be admitting the charge, but will not be admitting your civil liability if personal injury or property damage is involved.

Where pleas of guilty or no contest are made, a money judgment (forfeiture) is entered against you. You will be given an opportunity to tell me about any mitigating circumstances surrounding the charge.

If you plead NOT GUILTY, it means that you feel that the charge against you is not correct. If you are in doubt as to which plea to enter, you should plead not guilty, or ask for an adjournment date. Based on a not guilty plea, the Town must prove your guilty by "clear and convincing evidence." In short, the facts proven by the Town must indicate that it is highly probable that you committed the ordinance violation.


Those pleading Not Guilty will first be given a trial date and be released. The remainder of the defendants pleading guilty or no contest will remain. When your name is called, please advance promptly to a position in front of the bench. I will then inform you of the charges and of the consequences of your plea, traffic demerit points, minimum and maximum forfeitures, etc. After accepting your plea, I will review the police report and your past record. You may make a brief statement. I will then impose a sentence based upon the seriousness of the present charge and any past record.


Upon a finding of guilty, a money forfeiture plus costs may be imposed. Forfeitures may be payable immediately. If you fail to pay your forfeiture within 60 days your drivers license will be suspended for a period up to five (5) years.


If you are found guilty of a traffic offense, in addition to any judgment made by the Court, the State Department of Transportation in most cases will assess demerit points against your driving record. The assessment of 12 points or more in 12 months shall result in the loss of your license. Any person holding a probationary license will be assessed two additional demerit points for the second and all subsequent violations. Juveniles cited for traffic ordinance violations are subject to the same forfeitures and court procedures as adults.


The Municipal Court has jurisdiction over persons between 12 and 16 years of age charged with non-traffic ordinance violations, Juveniles have the same right with respect to pleas. In addition, these juveniles should appear in Court with a parent or guardian. They have a right to a private (closed) hearing, but may waive this right. A money judgment may be entered against a juvenile found guilty of a non-traffic ordinance violation. If the juvenile fails to pay the judgment, his/her driver's license shall be suspended for up to 5 years. If the offense is alcohol related, a report will be filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles.


This is a court of law and the rules of proper decorum and evidence will be followed. Please remain quiet while the Court is in session and give others the courtesy to be heard and present their case. Smoking is prohibited in the courtroom. Persons who fail to conduct themselves in an orderly matter may be cited for contempt.


The trial procedure is as follows: The prosecution will produce its witnesses to testify as to the facts and circumstances surrounding your case. You or your attorney will be permitted to cross examine each witness. When the prosecution has completed its case, you and your witnesses will be given an opportunity to testify and will be subjected to cross examination by the prosecution. After all the evidence has been presented, the prosecution and the defense will be given another opportunity to summarize their respective cases to the Court through brief argument. Thereafter, the Court will determine your innocence or guilt. If the Court finds you not guilty, you will be discharged and the citation against you will be dismissed. If you are found guilty, the Court will impose a penalty, taking into consideration the seriousness of the violation, the hazardous conditions, if any, that may have existed at the time, and your past driving record.


If you are found guilty after trial, you have the right to appeal your case to the Winnebago County Circuit Court. All appeals must be filed in writing within 20 days after judgment with the appropriate appeal fee. If you fail to meet this time limit, you have lost your right to appeal.

We hoped that your appearance in Municipal Court will be a beneficial and learning experience for you. For more information, please visit our web site at