Permits and Inspections


Call (920) 720-7104 at least 24 hours in advance to schedule an inspection.

  • Footing (before pouring)
  • Foundation (before backfilling)
  • Electrical service
  • Underground plumbing (before pouring basement floor)
  • Rough-ins (before covering up with insulation or drywall): Building/Framing, Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing
  • Insulation (before sheetrock/drywall)
  • Final/Occupancy

Hours of inspection (Monday through Friday):
10:00a.m.-12:00p.m. and 2:00p.m.-4:00p.m.

NOTE: For Commercial Electrical inspections, contact Independent Inspections (1-800-422-5220) to schedule.  Have your Independent Inspections Permit Number (20##-##-##E) ready.


  • ALL PERMITS must be brought to the Town of Menasha for processing before any work begins.
  • Permit applications and fees may be submitted in person at the Community Development office, or may be mailed to:Town of Menasha
    Building Inspections
    2000 Municipal Dr.
    Neenah, WI  54956
  • For projects within Shoreland Zoning, a Winnebago County Zoning permit ($165) is required before construction may begin.  Zoning permit applications may be taken in person or mailed to the Winnebago County Zoning office in Oshkosh.  Mail-ins may take up to 14 days to process, during which time no construction may take place.
  • Any permits requiring a Winnebago County Zoning Permit must be processed with Winnebago County prior to the issuance of a Town of Menasha building permit.
  • Any permits requiring a Winnebago County Zoning Permit also require a site plan showing placement and size of all structures (existing and proposed), dimensions of the proposed structures, and setbacks from all property lines and all other structures on the property.
  • If a contractor is doing the work, the Town recommends that the contractor pull the permit.  The contractor will also need to have current credentials from the State of Wisconsin in order to pull a permit. For work on a 1- or 2-family home, contractors need the Dwelling Contractor credential as well as the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier credential.(Please note: General contractors may not pull permits for electrical, HVAC or plumbing work. Electrical work requires a Master Electrician credential, HVAC work requires an HVAC Contractor credential, and Plumbing work requires a Master Plumber credential.)
  • A homeowner who resides or will reside in a home is allowed to pull permits for work on their home, however the State of Wisconsin requires that the homeowner read and sign a Cautionary Statement.

Building Permit Fee Schedule

Example of Site Plan